Skip to main content

Loving Thoughts From the Past

The Octopode challenge this week is to make something about Lurve. This sweet little Octopode moon and stars reminded me of the book, "Guess How Much I Love You." This book was my oldest daughter's favorite book when she was little (I think it probably is); sometimes I think she just wanted me to read it so she could watch me cry because I cried every time I read the ending. She still has a framed poster of the scene where big nut brown hare says these words to little nut brown hare, and she is 21 now.

This is going to be her Valentine's card, and my heart smiles knowing it will thrill her because she loves that story so much and because she already thinks that Octopodes are the coolest things (me too).

I made the card by cutting a double circle of SU! Almost Navy card stock with My Big Shot and a Spellbinder Circle Die leaving a little uncut at the top so the pieces would stay together. Then I cut another circle of Almost Navy, and glued it to the top half of the double circles after I folded the top part of the double circles in half. This makes an easel card (there are several tutorials on SplitCoast Stampers if you are interested because my description is horrible). I then printed out the quote on SU! Whisper White and cut it out using the next size smaller circle die. I sponged around the paper while it was still in the die using SU! Cool Caribbean and then a thinner line of Almost Navy. Next I printed out my digital image twice and cut out the moon and 6 stars. I sponged the moon with the same SU! blue ink pads, and I used SU! Summer Sun and More Mustard on the stars. I did all the colors on the botton layer of white paper - gave it a green look but I went with it because it reminded me of the moon. Next I layered on the images and put some Ranger Diamond Stickles on the stars. Fun, fun, fun!!!!

Thanks for the inspiration Lily!

Comments

  1. The card is so interesting. I love the idea that it is an easel card (I haven't tried that yet). Your sponging is beautifully done and I love how you cut out all your pieces. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    This is great! I have yet to try a circle easel card and put the tutorial on my desk the other day...lol
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that story too :) Darling card which I'm sure your daughter will treasure receiving. Have a great weekend! BTW, we do have colds here :( Hope they pass quickly as I hate being sick, especially when it happens so rarely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, my 10 YO STILL loves to give me things to read/watch/hear so that she can see me cry. It's so weird! LOL

    Love this moon card, in all its perfect roundness. I like those touches of glitter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant!! Love the whole layout and the idea behind it - gorgeous :) Also a big fan of TOFF !

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome..love this one.. Samir

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that book is just the best! My daughter's baby book is based on the art and style from that book and I just adore it!! Your daughter will flip for this sweet Valentine. Nice work, Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that book. It was the first book we had gotten for my grandson after he was born and he still keeps it on his dresser. We tell him all the time that we that we love him to the moon and back. You did a great job on this non traditional valentine, your daughter is sure to cherish it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just beautiful! That is my favorite book to read to my son and we say "I love you to the moon and back" to each other every night. I'm sure your daughter will treasure this always!! I love the blues you used on the background and moon. The whole design is just wonderful :) Thanks for playing with us at TOFF!

    Amy*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nancy

    you're the Valentine's Day Octopode Winner, please email me for your freebie digi of your choice.

    theoctopodefactory@hotmail.com

    lily x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forest Goodies and Other Projects

 Hello Crafty Friends. I just got the Stamperia Forest Paper and Die Cuts in the mail so I had to play with them right away.   I have a combo creation - journal page and card.  On the journal page I used my 6x6 Dina Wakley Journal and laid a base of gesso.  I then used Dina's pastel crayons and some SU! inks and stamps.  Also added in some TH Dress Ink in Vintage Photo since I don't know how to make anything without it  (seriously).   The eagle is a Stamperia Forest die cut and is coated with gesso.  Did a bit of stenciling and distressing to finish the page off.  I am linking this the the **Art*Journal*Journey* September Texture Theme (last day - can't wait to see what October's Theme will be).  The die cut and the little smears add texture to the already very textured page.   I love the blue and green together and was inspired to made a quick card for my Son-in-law who cut down some tree limbs for us the other day.  The paper in the middle is from the Stamperia Forest

A Martini, Peanut Butter Cupakes, and Art

Hello Friends. Today, I have an ecletic mix of drinks, dessert, and art. First, it's T-day somewhere in the world so time for a drink post which I am linking to Elizabeth's Blog - Altered Book Lover.  Last week we had a work related dinner.  When the waitress asked what I wanted to drink, I had a sudden craving for a martini.  I use to love them, but I guess my tastes have changed because I wasn't a fan.  I was a fan of the chips and dips though! And the day before, I brought my Sister's fabulous peanut butter cupcakes.  Mainly because I was craving them and couldn't ask her to make just one..... Over at **Art*Journal*Journey* Elle picked a theme of Books, Cats, and Tea (you can pick one, two or three of the items).  I did a Bible Journal Page in my Journaling Bible - Luke 13:24-25.  After a layer of Gesso, I took a Sharpie pen and drew the kitty, then the narrow door, and then colored the door with Arteza Brush pens. The verse was written with a Micron pen.  This

Milkshake Malt Porter and a Bit of Art

 Hello friends and Happy T-day. It has been hit or miss with me lately on T-day posts. The remodel of our house next door has taken our mental and physical energy.  I think a few more weeks and things will be on the contractor instead of us.  Hopefully I will be back to normal by then. My Oldest Darling Daughter asked if we wanted to come for dinner Saturday.  Translation:  go to the store with me and we will bring part of dinner to your house and you cook the rest.  While at the store, I saw one 6 pack of this fun milkshake porter so, of course, I bought it.  It smells wonderful (a hint of chocolate and a hit of malt) and has a light creamy taste.  I would definitely buy it again if I see it.  My son-in-law did not like it, but he is more a  Miller Lite fan.  Now if this had been a whiskey, he would have been all over it.  LOL.  Linking this to Elizabeth's blog for the T-party gang. Darling Daughter had tried her hand at dried pintos, and she rocked them (I will begging for a rep