Skip to main content

A Card to Bring in the New Year


Happy New Year to all my cyber friends! I am in a wonderful mood this morning. My oldest daughter is now engaged, and we couldn't pick a better son-in-law. What a wonderful way to start the New Year. A lot went on in my life this year - with me, my family, and my friends - some awesome things and some really scary things.

This card really speaks to those scary things. Most the things were health related, but a few were attacks on friends or family. I just don't know what gets into people. Life is hard enough - we should be helping people get through it with us and not trying to kick down our neighbor (or let our dogs eat 1/2 their chickens and not even offer to reimburse them for the damage - yes that happened to us too). Thankfully, when we are going through those storms - we can hold onto the Master. He is an expert sailor and can even control the seas. I am reminded of my favorite John Wesley story. In 1736, he sailed to America with his brother Charles. The passengers included many Englishmen but also a group of German missionaries who were Moravians. A great storm arose, and the sea was so strong that it broke the main mastsail. Water covered the boat and went inbetween the deckboards. The Englishmen were screaming and fearful, but the Moravians sat calmly singing Psalms. John asked them if they were afraid, and they responded that they were not afraid to die. If God saved them, then they would live to spread His Word. If they died, they would be with Him. This was a strong influence in John Wesley's life. It should strongly influence us all as well.

My card was made for the Our Daily Bread Designs weekly challenge. This week's challenge is to make any card you want using an Our Daily Bread Designs stamp. The sentiment is from the set "Anchor" which was a birthday present from my sweet friend Sue Worthington. The ship is from a Stamping Up! set called "the Open Seas." I stamped the ship panel using a set from Our Daily Bread called "Eternity." Then I stamped the ship, sponged my sky, and tried to make a good sea. I cut out another ship to add more dimension to the sails, and then set out to make a more dimensional sea. I used some old clear silicone and mixed it with some blue ink. I then spread it on my sea. It was gloppy and didn't want to stick so I had to mash it into the image. After 5 hours, it still wasn't all the way dry so I covered it with Glossy Accents so it would have a protective shell (it dried a few days later). The white panel is made using a Sizzix embossing folder which is my new favorite. I like the look. If you are interested in joining the Our Daily Bread Designs challenge, here is the link:

ODBD - Shining Light Challenge


Hope this year is full of calmer seas for us all, but if not, may we realize we are sailing with the Master and hold on tight!

Comments

  1. What a beautiful card, Nancy!! And what a powerful story, too. Here's to a fresh start in 2012. And congrats to your daughter (and you!) on her engagement!! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your gorgeous card, Nancy. It reminds me of the song, The Anchor Holds. What a song!

    Hey, congratulations to your daughter on the engagement. Wedding soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat to visit your blog Nancy, your cards are gorgeous! Congrats on the new team :) I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your daughters engagement. What a fun time ahead. This card is gorgeous along with your precious message. Hurray for 2012! We grilled oysters outside and had a fire pit and fireworks, music and lots of food with our family. It was beautiful out. My husband put some heaters around the patio so we had fun. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful card, a beautiful post, Nancy. I'm sorry you had some crummy things happen to you and your loved ones in 2011. I'm glad you've come through it all, and are here to craft with us and be my friend. Here's a toast for a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Nancy...I hope you had a wonderful holiday! Congratulation to your daughter. This card is gorgeous! I love that embossing folder and your coloring of the ship is top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I like this ship and the water looks awesome, very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forest Goodies and Other Projects

 Hello Crafty Friends. I just got the Stamperia Forest Paper and Die Cuts in the mail so I had to play with them right away.   I have a combo creation - journal page and card.  On the journal page I used my 6x6 Dina Wakley Journal and laid a base of gesso.  I then used Dina's pastel crayons and some SU! inks and stamps.  Also added in some TH Dress Ink in Vintage Photo since I don't know how to make anything without it  (seriously).   The eagle is a Stamperia Forest die cut and is coated with gesso.  Did a bit of stenciling and distressing to finish the page off.  I am linking this the the **Art*Journal*Journey* September Texture Theme (last day - can't wait to see what October's Theme will be).  The die cut and the little smears add texture to the already very textured page.   I love the blue and green together and was inspired to made a quick card for my Son-in-law who cut down some tree limbs for us the other day.  The paper in the middle is from the Stamperia Forest

A Martini, Peanut Butter Cupakes, and Art

Hello Friends. Today, I have an ecletic mix of drinks, dessert, and art. First, it's T-day somewhere in the world so time for a drink post which I am linking to Elizabeth's Blog - Altered Book Lover.  Last week we had a work related dinner.  When the waitress asked what I wanted to drink, I had a sudden craving for a martini.  I use to love them, but I guess my tastes have changed because I wasn't a fan.  I was a fan of the chips and dips though! And the day before, I brought my Sister's fabulous peanut butter cupcakes.  Mainly because I was craving them and couldn't ask her to make just one..... Over at **Art*Journal*Journey* Elle picked a theme of Books, Cats, and Tea (you can pick one, two or three of the items).  I did a Bible Journal Page in my Journaling Bible - Luke 13:24-25.  After a layer of Gesso, I took a Sharpie pen and drew the kitty, then the narrow door, and then colored the door with Arteza Brush pens. The verse was written with a Micron pen.  This

Milkshake Malt Porter and a Bit of Art

 Hello friends and Happy T-day. It has been hit or miss with me lately on T-day posts. The remodel of our house next door has taken our mental and physical energy.  I think a few more weeks and things will be on the contractor instead of us.  Hopefully I will be back to normal by then. My Oldest Darling Daughter asked if we wanted to come for dinner Saturday.  Translation:  go to the store with me and we will bring part of dinner to your house and you cook the rest.  While at the store, I saw one 6 pack of this fun milkshake porter so, of course, I bought it.  It smells wonderful (a hint of chocolate and a hit of malt) and has a light creamy taste.  I would definitely buy it again if I see it.  My son-in-law did not like it, but he is more a  Miller Lite fan.  Now if this had been a whiskey, he would have been all over it.  LOL.  Linking this to Elizabeth's blog for the T-party gang. Darling Daughter had tried her hand at dried pintos, and she rocked them (I will begging for a rep